The phrase ‘pet shipping’ might bring to mind sending parcels through the mail, but thankfully there are comfortable and safe ways to transport your pet from A to B in perfect health, using specialist pet transportation services.
These services are geared towards making life easier for pet owners when they move house, relocate, or move somewhere temporarily. It’s always a stressful time with a thousand and one things to think about from packing and cleaning to arranging transport for the family.
The best pet transportation services remove one element of the process by looking after all the arrangements for your pet’s travel to its new home. They cater for all types of pets including exotic and dangerous animals, as well as cats, dogs, and birds.
Generally here’s how pet shipping services work:
- Call or email to provide details of where you are moving to and when, what pets you need to transport, and whether they have any special requirements
- Receive a quote for the service and confirm dates and arrangements
- When the day comes either drop your pet off at a collection point or have the pet transportation company collect it from your home
- Boarding may be provided for your pet until departure time arrives
- If the journey is overland, it will be transported in a climate-controlled van
- If flights are involved, your pet will be provided with an appropriate travel crate and made comfortable as possible for a stress-free journey
- If your pet is crossing international borders, quarantine and customs regulations may apply and all necessary documentation will be sorted out before departure, as well as any vaccinations.
- If your pet shipper has a network of locations and partner agents you may be able to order a door-to-door service where your pet will be delivered directly to your new home; or it can be collected from a pick up point with another IPATA*-approved agent.
(*International Pet and Animal Transport Association: This regulates pet transportation by setting ethics standards and overseeing the performance of members.)
By selecting a reliable and established pet shipping company your pet’s journey should run very smoothly, without hiccups, arriving stress-free and in perfect health. Interstate and international air travel is more complicated and involves much more preparation to comply with regulations: this is when a specialised pet shipping service becomes invaluable. Most people find it very stressful to manage all the necessary travel arrangements and documentation themselves and, besides, they are normally too busy on other aspects of their move.
With locations around Australia and a network of international partners, Dogtainers is the most established and reliable pet shipping service in the country. We have a long track record of delivering pets safely and comfortably to their new homes. Call us on 1300 13 52 52 or get a quote here.